Dear Members of the Division of Medicinal Chemistry & Chemical Biology,
The quiet summer period is almost over, time to inform you on a number of upcoming events organized by the DMCCB. We hope that you can profit from this broad selection of topics related to Medicinal Chemistry and Chemical Biology.
News from the DMCCB
- DMCCB Basel Symposium 24.5.2016: This year's symposium was dedicated to the topic of Macrocycles in Drug- and Agrochemical Discovery. Two speakers Prof. Andrei Yudin and Dr. Jeremy Duvall agreed to share their presentations with the DMCCB members. A conference report will be published in issue 7/8 of Chimia 2016 (available August 24, 2016)
- The 2016 KGF-SCS Industrial Science Award is given to Dr. Martin H. Bolli (Actelion Pharmaceuticals Ltd.) for his excellent contributions to medicinal chemistry, culminating in the discovery and development of Macitentan. Dr. Bolli will present at the SCS Fall meeting (see below).
- The call for nominations for the SCS awards for 2017 is open until September 30, 2016. Information on the various awards is available on the SCS web site.
Your opinion ? Since a few months, the DMCCB is active on Facebook and LinkedIn. The community is continuously growing, showing the usefulness of social media for the distribution of information. We value your input! If you use FB or LinkedIn, please take a minute and give us your feedback here.
Upcoming Congresses and Symposia
- Swiss Summer School 2016 in Chemical Biology: A panel of internationally renowned scientists and PhD students in the field of chemical biology present and discuss science in the Swiss Alps. Villars-sur-Ollon, August 21-25, 2016.
- The 5th international Symposium on DNA-encoded Chemical libraries takes place on August 26, 2016 at ETH Zürich
- SCS Fall Meeting 2016: Our main annual event, with close to 600 contributions, will take place at the University of Zürich, Irchel Campus, on September 15, 2016. Abstracts will be published in issue 7/8 of Chimia 2016 (available August 24, 2016).
- NCCR TransCure Symposium in Drug Design: September 16, 2016, University of Bern. The National Center of Competence in Research (NCCR) TransCure is an interdisciplinary research network sharing the vision: "To apply excellence in membrane transporter research to the treatment of human diseases".
- Basel Life Science Week (BLSW) and ILMAC 2016, Basel, September 19-23, 2016, with an attractive scientific program in parallel to the large exhibition of vendors.
- The Peptide Therapeutics Forum 2016 (Basel, September 20-21, 2016): this two days symposium focuses on “early peptide discovery” and “development candidates for therapeutic peptides”.
- 12th Swiss Course on Medicinal Chemistry: The program is now available online. As in previous years, we have assembled a high-calibre panel of experts, opinion leaders, and practitioners of modern medicinal chemistry who will scrutinize exciting topics. Registration is still possible! Leysin, October 9-14, 2016
- Frontiers in Medicinal Chemistry Symposium (Bern, February 12-15, 2017): This international symposium jointly organized by the DMCCB and the GDCh will focus on new trends and success stories in targeted protein degradation approaches, immuno-oncology, liver diseases, CADD, hit and lead discovery, as well as a series of chemical biology and drug discovery highlights.
News from the European Federation of Medicinal Chemistry (EFMC)
- XXIV EFMC International Symposium on Medicinal Chemistry (EFMC-ISMC 2016): Manchester (UK), August 28–September 1, 2016. The flagship meeting of the EFMC, which for the first time will include a plenary session dedicated to “First disclosures of Clinical Drugs”.
- The 3rd EFMC Young Chemist Symposium takes place in Manchester (UK) immediately afterwards (September 1-2, 2016). The program includes prize-winners from national young medicinal chemist meetings from all over Europe.
- PET & Imaging: From Chemistry Lab to Clinical Applications: Mont-Saint-Guibert, Belgium, November 18, 2016. A one-day meeting with six invited lectures and three oral communications.
Faculty Positions at the EPFL: The Institute of Chemical Sciences and Engineering (ISIC) at EPFL invites applications for appointments in chemistry. One position will be in chemistry with applications in biology. The other will be in any area of chemistry.
Did you know…
Fest der Moleküle, August 27-28 2016, Basel: The University of Basel invites children and families to discover the fascinating world of chemistry.