Division of Chemical Education (DCE)
The Division of Chemical Education shall support the interaction of educators and teachers of chemistry at all levels. The possibility to interact with scientists of the other SCS divisions will create bridges between research and education.
The aims of the DCE are
- Establish a platform for the exchange of educational know-how at all levels (horizontal integration) and also between educational levels (vertical integration).
- Extend the current offerings on training courses and workshops for chemistry teachers: showing and sharing good practice.
- Create opportunities for chemistry teachers at to establish contacts to researchers from industry and academia (and vice versa) and preparation of current research topics for their deployment in chemical education and training
- Present chemistry as an essential area of science and improve the public opinion and awareness.
- Organize ChemEdu, a national conference for the exchange of educational know-how in chemistry at all levels.
- Collaborate with corresponding organizations of other countries to organize symposia and workshops on topics of current interest.
- Represent Switzerland on international level (e.g. EuChemS) in the fields of Chemical Education, Cultural Heritage and Ethics in Chemistry.
- Support other SCS networks in implementing education initiatives.
- Publish the CHIMIA column ‘Chemical Education Highlights’.
- Publish a CHIMIA issue on education topics in Chemistry on a regular basis.
- Honor excellence in Chemical Education by awarding the Balmer Prize.
Prof. Catherine E. Housecroft, University of Basel,
Representative of Universities and Author of ChemEdu Books
Dr. Olimpia Mamula Steiner, HEIA Fribourg,
Representative Universities of Applied Sciences
Dr. Markus Müller, Kantonsschule Frauenfeld,
Treasurer and representative of High Schools
Dr. Paolo Lubini, LC2 Lugano,
Representative of High Schools
Thomas Flüeler, Stiftung SymplyScience,
Representative scienceindustries and SimplyScience
Dr. Hans Peter Lüthi, SCS Foundation,
Representative SCS and SCS Foundation
Dr. Klemens Koch, PH Bern
Representative of University of Education, Swiss Science Teacher Society
Prof. Marco Lattuada, University of Fribourg
Representative of Universities
Prof. Marcel Drabbels, EPF Lausanne
Representative of Universities
Dr. Fernando Romero, Aprentas
Representative of Vocational Schools
12. Oct 2022 - 09:00, Kantonsschule Liestal
Dreitägige Ausbildungsveranstaltung für Lehrpersonen an Gymnasien und Kantonsschulen mit Vorträgen, Workshops und Exkursionen. Der Anlass wird vom VSN alle zwei Jahre organisiert.
07. Nov 2022 - 10:00, Hotel Schloss Gerzensee
The SCS Seminar on IP 2022 with focus on researchers, technology transfer managers, and others which are required to deal with life science related intellectual property, in particular patents, and enhance their capabilities to assess and manage patent related novelty, inventive step and freedom-to-operate risks.
27. Jan 2023 - 08:30, Universität Basel
The SICS is a one-day symposium with lectures, short talks and offers a unique platform for industrial scientists, working in research and process research, to present their latest results. The event will be completed with a poster session in which PhD students can also participate.
16. Jul 2023 - 10:00, ETH Zürich
The International Chemistry Olympiad (IChO) is an annual competition for the world’s most talented chemistry students at the secondary school level. Nations around the world send a team of four students who are tested on their chemistry knowledge and skills in a five-hour laboratory practical exam and a five-hour written theoretical examination.
07. Jul 2024 - 16:00, Dublin (Ireland)
The ECC is a scientifically excellent European chemistry meeting that reflects the outstanding research being done in Europe as well as its role in the international scientific community.