Division of Industrial and Applied Chemistry (DIAC)
The Division of Industrial & Applied Chemistry (DIAC) of the Swiss Chemical Society is a forum for chemists, chemical engineers and process engineers interested in industrial chemistry, chemical production, chemical process development and related fields. The DIAC has about 300 members.
The aims of the DIAC are
- to promote industrial chemistry and chemical process technology in all fields of chemical development and production
- to disseminate information through the organization and sponsorship of meetings, seminars, workshops and lectures
- to provide a network for knowledge transfer and discussion and for interdisciplinary collaborations
- to highlight the importance of chemical production and process development in research and education, industry, commerce and politics
- to establish and maintain networks and collaborations with like-minded professional societies and institutions, in Switzerland and abroad
- Organize the bi-annual, two-day Freiburger Symposium that is dedicated to a specific sustainable industrial chemistry topic. DIAC members benefit from reduced fees.
- Offer a company visit with presentations and a site tour at a Swiss chemical manufacturer incl. the DIAC’s members’ assembly.
- Showcase latest research highlights in Swiss R&D with the bi-annual Swiss Industrial Chemistry Symposium (SICS).
- Finance the Sandmeyer Prize every other year and offer a platform for the award lecture at the Freiburger Symposium.
- Award excellence in industrial and applied sciences with a number of awards in related fields.
- Co-organize ILMAC, the traditional trade fair for Laboratory and Process Chemistry in Basel and Lausanne.
- Publish a CHIMIA issue on an industrial topic every other year.
Prof. Roger Marti, Hochschule für Technik und Architektur Fribourg
President, Member of the SCS Board of Directors and Co-Chair of the Freiburger Symosium
Dr. Bernhard Urwyler, Syngenta Crop Protection AG
Dr. Urs Brändli, Dottikon Exclusive Synthesis AG
Member of the Board
Ing. ETH Stephan Gentner, Mibelle Group
Member of the Board
Dr. Thomas Heinz, Novartis Pharma AG
Member of the Board and Chair of the Swiss Industrial Chemistry Symposium (SICS)
Dr. Stefan Hildbrand,, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
Member of the Board
Ing. ETH Urban Jenelten, Firmenich SA
Member of the Board and Co-Chair of the Freiburger Symposium
Dr. Niklaus Künzle, Lonza AG$
Member of the Board and Delegate in SusChem CH
Dr. Maurus Marty, DSM Nutritional Products Ltd
Member of the Board and Delegate in the Swiss Flow Chemistry Network
Dr. Andrea Sting, Syngenta Crop Protection AG
Member of the Board
22. Apr 2021 - 09:00, School of Engineering and Architecture of Fribourg
The objective of this biennial conference is to regularly provide our members and other interested chemists working in process development and production with opportunities for professional training and networking.
10. Jun 2021 - 09:00, ZHAW Campus Grüental (GA), School of Life Sciences and Facility Management
The symposium will cover cutting edge topics of bio-catalysis, ranging from the evolution of synthetically valuable enzyme families, genetic code expansion and the design and optimization of artificial enzymes, to the development of computational approaches for enzyme engineering. In addition, the symposium will feature several successful biocatalysis examples from industry.
10. Sep 2021 - 09:00, Online Conference
The SCS Fall Meeting is the largest annual scientific event in Switzerland. It offers a unique opportunity for graduate students, post-doctoral researchers and scientists of all levels, from both, academia and industry, to share the results of their research projects.
19. Oct 2021 - 09:00, Congress Center Basel
Since 1959, ILMAC has been the sole Swiss industry fair for chemicals and life sciences that depicts all the industrial applications in process and laboratory technology. As a user-oriented trade fair, ILMAC is geared to experts in pharmaceuticals, chemicals, biotechnology, food, drinks, cosmetics and others.
19. Oct 2021 - 10:00, Messe Basel
The Symposium will showcase the great potential of the Flow Chemistry technology and will focus on intensification and sustainability in chemical processes. The symposium is the part of the ILMAC Basel 2021 Forum program.
20. Oct 2021 - 10:00, Messe Basel
One day conference including invited and award lectures, poster sessions, workshops, discussions and the evening event of SusChem CH.
26. Nov 2021 - 10:00, Syngenta Research Center
The 2021 edition will focus on Topic «Chemistry lab of the future». It's a great opportunity to strenghthen the link between chemical industries and academic laboratory.
24. Aug 2023 - 13:00, Universität Bern, VonRoll Areal
The SCS Fall Meeting offers a unique opportunity for all members of the community to share the results of their research initiatives. It also stimulates the exchange of ideas between all generations of chemists, often creating the seeds for new projects and collaborations.
Vol. 73, 10/2019: Continuous Flow Chemistry – Industry and Academia Perspectives
Vol. 73, 09/2019: Green and Sustainable Chemistry
Vol. 72, 03/2018: Quality Aspects in Industrial Chemistry
Vol. 70, 09/2016: Division of Industrial and Applied Chemistry: Game Changing Innovation in Chemical Production
Vol. 68, 12/2014: Life Science START-UPS in Switzerland
Vol. 67, 10/2013: Trends in Energy - Efficiency, Recovery and Production : The Role of the Chemical Industry
Vol. 67, 09/2013: Technology Fair ILMAC 2013
Vol. 66, 05/2012: Geneva Pharma
Vol. 64, 09/2010: ILMAC
Vol. 61, 09/2007: ILMAC 2007 Messe und Kongress
Vol. 61, 01-02/2007: Chemistry Makes Life Easier
Vol. 60, 10/2006: REACH: Registration, Evaluation, and Authorization of CHemicals
Vol. 60, 09/2006: Process Chemistry
Vol. 59, 04/2005: ILMAC 2005
Vol. 59, 01-02/2005: World Scale Production in Switzerland
Vol. 58, 09/2004: Pharmaceutical Industry in Switzerland