In 2013 the main focus of the SCS board and its members was to align our offer to the revised strategy that was approved in 2012 and to extend our activities into new areas. New communication channels and optimized business processes helped to reach our goals. With pleasure we can look back on a very successful year.
We notably highlight the following activities and offers that were implemented over the past twelve months:
- First awarding of the KGF-SCS Industrial Science Awards as a result of a closer collaboration between the SCS and KGF (Kontaktgruppe für Forschungsfragen) and the Swiss chemical and pharma industry as a whole, as also shown by the joint one-day SCS/Syngenta symposium on ‘Frontiers in Fluorine Chemistry’.
- New concept for the SCS activities at the ILMAC and a closer collaboration with the Universities of Applied Sciences.
- Launch of the national technology platform on sustainable chemistry, NTP SusChem Switzerland and link to the European SusChem organization.
- Acquisition of 5% ownership of ‘Chemistry a European Journal’ to actively participate in the ChemPubSoc journal consortium.
- New concept of the Freiburger Symposium that led to the desired turnaround in participation.
As our ongoing activities we highlight just a few here and refer to the reports of the Divisions on page 4ff.
- Organization and/or sponsorship of public and scientific meetings and events.
- Presentation of eleven SCS awards to scientists.
- Publication of 10 CHIMIA issues.
- Organization of more than fifty educational courses (Division of Analytical Sciences).
- Collaboration with the Platform Chemistry of SCNAT, Swiss Science Industries (SGCI), and the European Association for Chemical and Molecular Sciences (EuCheMS).
In 2014 we will continue our efforts to extend our offers and to further improve our support for the chemical community. Many thanks to all who enthusiastically helped us to realize SCS projects and to the industry and organizations that provided sponsorship.
Prof. E. Peter Kündig David Spichiger
President Executive Director
The report will be printed also in CHIMIA issue 1-2/2014
David Spichiger, SCS