In 2014 the main focus of the SCS board and its members was to fully implement the measures that were discussed, decided and developed since the strategy workshop in early 2012. On one hand we improved and further developed existing offers on the other hand we implemented new programs for existing but also new target groups.
The SCS Lectureships were one of the new actions on offer. The SCS stepped in after CUSO decided to discontinue this very successful program. Three lecture tours were organized in late 2013. In 2014 already six world-class scientists visited Switzerland under this program and gave research lectures at five universities each.
To stimulate interaction between Swiss industry research and development leaders and between them and academia, the SCS, in collaboration with Clariant, organized the first R&D heads network event in Basel. This evening of discussions proved very constructive and this very successful event will be continued in 2015.
One of the major projects with high impact was the implementation of the new SCS Conference Tool that allows us to provide conference services in a very efficient way. Streamlining the submission and processing of the Fall Meeting abstracts was successfully enhanced and this proved a great help to the chairs of the sessions. The event that has grown to reach about 600 contributions in eight parallel sessions urgently called for a professional solution.
Apart from the highlights mentioned above we implemented the following offerings/projects over the past twelve months:
- Acquisition of 5% ownership of ‘Chemistry a European Journal’ from GDCh to actively participate in the ChemPubSoc journal consortium;
- Transfer of all divisional event websites to the SCS web platform and aligning all external SCS communication;
- Reduced fees for subscriptions to Thieme’s Römpp Encyclopedia for SCS members;
- Network to our corporate members, sponsors and supporters to ensure a viable relationship with the SCS;
- Reactivation of the active cooperation with Verlag Helvetica Chimica Acta (VHCA).
With pleasure we can look back on a very successful year.
In 2015 we will continue our efforts to extend our offers and to further improve our support for the chemical community. Many thanks to all who enthusiastically helped us to realize SCS projects and to the industry and organizations that provided sponsorship.
Prof. em. E. Peter Kündig David Spichiger
President Executive Director
David Spichiger, SCS