About the Swiss Chemical Society (SCS)
Our vision is to promote chemistry-based sciences and foster innovation in Switzerland to benefit society and the environment.
The Swiss Chemical Society (SCS) supports the scientific community and promotes chemistry-related activities and the information exchange among academic, government, and industrial scientists.
The SCS offers and organizes ...
- Events, including conferences, congresses, and courses to promote the exchange of knowledge
- Platforms for networking and fostering career development
- Prizes and awards for outstanding achievements
- Representing and ensuring the exchange of information in national and international organizations
- Publications as active publisher or partner
The Society actively supports diversity and inclusion for all its members and activities.
The SCS is a member of the European Chemical Society (EuChemS), the Swiss Academy of Sciences (SCNAT) and the Swiss Academy of Engineering Sciences (SATW). It is also connected to the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry, IUPAC (with the Platform Chemistry of the SCNAT being the Swiss representative)
All members can access our SCS network platforms on LinkedIn or follow us on Twitter.
Prof. Christian Bochet, President (member of the Executive Board)
University of Fribourg
Dr. Yves Auberson, Vice-President (member of the Executive Board)
Novartis Pharma AG, Basel
Dr. Gillian Harvey, Chairman of the Editorial Board of CHIMIA (member of the Executive Board)
Dr. Maud Reiter, Treasurer (member of the Executive Board)
Firmenich SA, Genève
David Spichiger, Executive Director and Head Office (member of the Executive Board)
Swiss Chemical Society
Prof. Esther Amstad, President of the Division of Polymers, Colloids and Interfaces (DPCI)
Prof. Eric Bakker, President of the Division of Analytical Sciences (DAS)
University of Geneva
Prof. Christophe Copéret, Swiss Representative in the EuChemS Executive Board
Dr. Corinne Jud, Member of the Board
Dr. Hans Peter Lüthi, Director SCS Foundation
ETH Zurich and SCS Foundation
Prof. Roger Marti, President of the Division of Industrial & Applied Chemistry (DIAC)
Prof. Jean-Louis Reymond, President of the Division of Medicinal Chemistry & Chemical Biology (DMCCB)
University of Bern
Prof. Thomas Bürgi, President of the Division of Fundamental Research (DFR)
University of Geneva
Delegates from the Swiss Chemical Society
|EuChemS Executive Board, Elected Member||Prof. Christophe Copéret, ETH Zürich|
|EuChemS Executive Board, Treasurer||Dr. Hans Peter Lüthi, SCS Foundation|
|Division of Organic Chemistry||Prof. Christof Sparr, University of Basel|
|Division of Inorganic Chemistry||Prof. Kay Severin, EPFL|
|Division of Analytical Chemistry||Prof. Franka Kalman, HESSO//VS|
|Division of Chemistry and the Environment||Dr. Thomas Bucheli, Agroscope|
|Division of Nuclear and Radiochemistry||Prof. Patrick Steinegger, PSI|
|Division of Food Chemistry||Prof. Laura Nyström, ETH Zurich|
|Division of Organimetallic Chemistry||Prof. Martin Albrecht, University of Bern|
|Division of Chemistry in Life Sciences||Representation via EFMC|
|Division of Computational Chemistry||Dr. Hans Peter Lüthi, SCS Foundation|
|Working Party on Chemistry and Energy||vacancy|
|Division of Physical Chemistry||Prof. Stefan Willitsch, University of Basel|
|Division of Education||Dr. Markus Müller, Kanti Frauenfeld|
|Division of Solid State and Materials Chemistry||Prof. Greta Patzke, University of Zürich|
|European Young Chemists' Network EYCN||Chrysanthi Papadimou, University of Neuchâtel|
|International Award Committee for the EuChemS Lecture Award (IACL)||Dr. Hans Peter Lüthi, ETH Zürich|
|Working Party on Chemistry for Curtiral Heritage||Prof. Edit Joseph, Haute Ecole Arc, Neuchâtel|
The mandate as Swiss delegate can be summarized as follows:
On EuChemS Level
- Participate in the EuChemS divisional board meetings (onsite or virtually). Basically, there is one meeting per year, often linked to an EuChemS conference.
- Represent the interest of the SCS and make sure that the input of Switzerland as important provider for high quality research in Chemistry/LS is included in the divisional decision processes.
- Actively participate in EuChemS Divisional Conferences or/and in the ECC Conference series: as OC member, as proposer of (Swiss) speakers, as consultant for general organization aspects or as participant.
- consider taking over an executive mandate such as treasurer or president.
On SCS Level
- Assign as member of the divisional SCS board (2-3 meeting per year in CH).
- Inform the SCS Divisional Board about relevant activities of EuChemS and the respective EuChemS division.
- Collect and consolidate inputs from the SCS divisional board members and present them on EuChemS level.
- Coordinate communication measures with SCS Head Office and ask for support to publish e.g. SCS news messages, Social Media posts, CHIMIA articles, newsletters.
As Swiss delegate an annual budget of CHF 1’000 is available from the SCS to cover travel expenses.