About the Swiss Chemical Society (SCS)
The Swiss Chemical Society (SCS) represents chemists and scientists from chemistry related fields in national and international organizations. The society supports the exchange of scientific and technical know-how and offers corresponding networking possibilities to the academic and industrial community. It has members in more than 50 countries and represents about 2700 individual and institutional members.
Key activities of the SCS include ...
- Scientific meetings, congresses and courses to assist, inform and educate the community in all fields of pure and applied chemistry.
- Awards for outstanding contributions in a wide range of chemical fields.
- Representation of interests of Swiss scientists in national and international organizations.
- Publication of the scientific journal CHIMIA and the involvement in associated journals, e.g. HCA, Journal of ABC, PCCP and the journals of Chemistry Europe.
The SCS is a member of the European Chemical Society (EuChemS), the Swiss Academy of Sciences (SCNAT) and the Swiss Academy of Engineering Sciences (SATW). It is also connected to the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry, IUPAC (with the Platform Chemistry of the SCNAT being the Swiss representative)
All members can access our SCS network platforms on LinkedIn or follow us on Twitter.
Prof. Christian Bochet, President (member of the Executive Board)
University of Fribourg
Dr. Yves Auberson, Vice-President (member of the Executive Board)
Novartis Pharma AG, Basel
Dr. Gillian Harvey, Chairman of the Editorial Board of CHIMIA (member of the Executive Board)
Dr. Maud Reiter, Treasurer (member of the Executive Board)
Firmenich SA, Genève
David Spichiger, Executive Director and Head Office (member of the Executive Board)
Swiss Chemical Society
Prof. Esther Amstad, President of the Division of Polymers, Colloids and Interfaces (DPCI)
Prof. Eric Bakker, President of the Division of Analytical Sciences (DAS)
University of Geneva
Prof. Christophe Copéret, Swiss Representative in the EuChemS Executive Board
Dr. Jan Cvengros, President of the Division of Chemical Education (DCE)
Dr. Leslie Fendt, Member of the Board
F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG, Basel
Dr. Corinne Jud, Member of the Board
Dr. Hans Peter Lüthi, Director SCS Foundation
ETH Zurich and SCS Foundation
Prof. Roger Marti, President of the Division of Industrial & Applied Chemistry (DIAC)
Prof. Jean-Louis Reymond, President of the Division of Medicinal Chemistry & Chemical Biology (DMCCB)
University of Bern
Prof. Stefan Willitsch, President of the Division of Fundamental Research (DFR)
University of Basel
Delegates from the Swiss Chemical Society
|EuChemS Executive Board||Prof. Christophe Copéret, ETH Zürich|
|Division of Organic Chemistry||Prof. Jeffrey Bode, ETH Zürich|
|Division of Inorganic Chemistry||Prof. Kay Severin, EPFL|
|Division of Analytical Chemistry||Prof. Franka Kalman, HESSO//VS|
|Division of Chemistry and the Environment||Dr. Thomas Bucheli, Agroscope|
|Division of Nuclear and Radiochemistry||Prof. Andreas Türler, PSI
|Division of Food Chemistry||Prof. Laura Nyström, ETH Zurich|
|Division of Organimetallic Chemistry||Prof. Martin Albrecht, University of Bern|
|Division of Chemistry in Life Sciences||Representation via EFMC|
|Division of Computational Chemistry||Dr. Hans Peter Lüthi, ETH Zürich|
|Working Party on Chemistry and Energy||vacancy|
|Division of Physical Chemistry||Prof. Stefan Willitsch, University of Basel|
|Division of Education||Dr. Markus Müller, Kanti Frauenfeld|
|Division of Solid State and Materials Chemistry||Prof. Greta Patzke, University of Zürich|
|European Young Chemists' Network EYCN||Dr. Jovana Milic, EPFL Lausanne|
|International Award Committee for the EuChemS Lecture Award (IACL)||Dr. Hans Peter Lüthi, ETH Zürich|
The mandate as Swiss delegate can be summarized as follows:
On EuChemS Level
- Participate in the EuChemS divisional board meetings (onsite or virtually). Basically, there is one meeting per year, often linked to an EuChemS conference.
- Represent the interest of the SCS and make sure that the input of Switzerland as important provider for high quality research in Chemistry/LS is included in the divisional decision processes.
- Actively participate in EuChemS Divisional Conferences or/and in the ECC Conference series: as OC member, as proposer of (Swiss) speakers, as consultant for general organization aspects or as participant.
- consider taking over an executive mandate such as treasurer or president.
On SCS Level
- Assign as member of the divisional SCS board (2-3 meeting per year in CH).
- Inform the SCS Divisional Board about relevant activities of EuChemS and the respective EuChemS division.
- Collect and consolidate inputs from the SCS divisional board members and present them on EuChemS level.
- Coordinate communication measures with SCS Head Office and ask for support to publish e.g. SCS news messages, Social Media posts, CHIMIA articles, newsletters.
As Swiss delegate an annual budget of CHF 1’000 is available from the SCS to cover travel expenses.